A little snippet - 48,224 (wp) 59,500 (pr)

Wednesday, May 02, 2007, 1:09 AM

A pivotal scene just sneaked up on me. The action and plot are at a kind of hiatus at the moment. You know, one of those points where the entire story takes a breath before the next big push. An interlude, if you will. This chapter was a little difficult in that it bridges two big action sequences and plot points, and its low-key nature seemed kind of odd in the midst of all the bloodshed. But, the benefit of just sitting down and writing the damn thing showed itself yet again and the sequence finally made sense of itself. And in a good way, too, I think.

So, I decided to share the last paragrpaghs of the chapter, just cos I like them. To set the scene, Fegan and his new friend (Romantic interest? Possibly ...) have fled Belfast and holed up in a remote fishing village. They have been taken pity on by a friendly couple (based on dear friends of mine) who share a cottage overlooking the sea...

Marie insisted that Fegan and she do the dishes while Mrs Bell put her feet up. They were alone at the sink, passing soapy plates back and forth.

"I've been thinking about it," said Marie. "I'm going to trust you because I've no choice. You're the only person I know who's prepared to stand up to McGinty."

"I won't let him hurt you," said Fegan.

"So you keep telling me. But what does that mean? When will it be safe to go home? How long do we stay in Cushendun? These people are so kind, but we can't impose on them forever."

Fegan added a plate to the dried stack on the worktop. "I'll go to Belfast today. I'll sort it out."

"How?" Marie turned to face him. There were no more dishes, only questions. "How are you going to sort it out?"

"There's people I have to see," said Fegan. "By tomorrow, you won't have to worry."

Her eyes would not leave him. "What are you going to do?"

"I'll sort it out," he said.

"No. I need to know what you're going to do. Tell me."

Fegan dried his hands and threw the towel on the drainer. He gripped Marie's shoulders with his wiry hands. "I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure you and Ellen are safe. That's all."

Her eyes danced with his. "All right. Whatever it takes, and that's all. Nothing more."

Fegan nodded, and lifted the towel from the drainer. He felt her hand on his forearm.

"And nothing less," she said.

He turned to her hard eyes. "I'll need your car."

1 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Very nice, as usual.

I dearly looove sitting two characters down for a chat. They always tell me where to go next.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home