The Joy of Critique, Part 2

Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 10:40 PM

I've had the first comments through from SSatS on my latest novel. I couldn't be happier with the critique I'm getting from both her and McKoala. What's even better is they've approached it from two entirely different levels - one working at the micro level while the other works at the macro, if you see what I mean - which results in my work getting a really thorough going over. They've picked up on a few common issues, and I've already been given some good pointers to improving the manuscript. My heartfelt thanks to both of them.

I've resisted the temptation to go near the novel since handing it over to my beta readers, but I've been plagued by the itch to write over the last week or so. I'm still nagged by the novel's protagonist, as if he has more to say and do - though, for now, I can't for the life of me think what. So, this evening I dug out a piece I started way back at the beginning of the year. It's a story aimed at the younger reader (our American friends call it YA) though it's quite dark. I'd written about 3000 words, so I picked up where I left off. It's an idea that came to me in a dream (as they often do, just like the last novel) and I'd like to see it to completion. I doubt it'll get there before the second draft of the last novel gets underway, but at least it'll provide some distraction. I may submit the prologue and opening pages to the Crapometer.

Besides everything else, work is incredibly busy at the minute, and I think that's been increasing my need to write - it's such a good way to relax.

2 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

You'll notice I'm neglecting Crapometer in favor of your book.

5:13 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

And I see you took my bitching to heart...

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home