Rewrite Progress Report #1

Sunday, July 15, 2007, 10:18 PM

I've just spent a pretty solid weekend working on the rewrite, and I'm about a quarter of the way through. This seems like very fast progress, but I've been helped enormously by my beta readers. Most of the novel's larger faults were in the early to mid section, so hopefully things will smooth out as I go - apart from a couple of chapters nearer the end which need complete rewrites.

I've found a couple of things that neither I nor my beta readers spotted. There were two chapter eights, and two chapter fifty-twos. Also, there's a huge, glaring logic error in the penultimate scene that I only noticed when I was reviewing notes.

D'oh!

Anyway, I'm having fun with this so far.

6 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I admit I didn't look at chapter titles. It's easy enough to do a search on "Chapter" at the end and make sure they're in order. I frequently have cut or reordered scenes and my chaptering gets all fucked up, so it's something I save till last.

12:08 AM  
Blogger McKoala said...

Oops, me neither. What's the glaring logic error that we all missed?! Curious here!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Point is, I should have spotted these errors long before it got as far as beta readers. Not a big deal. That's what the backspace key's there for. It makes me wonder how people ever managed with typewriters, though!

I don't to say too much about the climax of the story here, so I'll email you what it was, plus a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

9:38 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Yeah, email it to me, too.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Hi Conduit,

I see you on the agents blogs, and the plot of your WIP intrigues me, it sounds kinda similar to my WIP in spite of the fact that "anonymous" sent us both back to drawing board with out tag lines.

So glad you did not get the Jack Russell pup - they are hyper-active maniacs! Perhaps there's a perfect pet waiting for you at the dog pound?

Really enjoy your blog. I'll be adding a link to my own blogroll.

Best,
Josephine

1:52 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Thanks for saying hi, Josephine, I'll return the link. I read some entries on your blog - I'll make a point of checking in regularly. :)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home