The Conduit Lectures Gazumped!

Saturday, November 10, 2007, 2:07 PM

Thanks to Nathan Bransford for highlighting this series of articles by Barry Eisler. Mr Eisler has posted three articles on MJ Rose's blog which arrive at more or less the same conclusion I was building to in my How to Fix the Publishing Industry ramblings.

There are two key improvements over my posts, however.

1) Barry Eisler appears to actually know what he's talking about.

2) Barry Eisler has made his arguments in a reasoned and concise set of articles, rather than my random blathering.

Mr Eisler drops the ball on one significant element, though, and it almost destroys his entire point: he forgot to include Dinologue. How can anyone make a serious point without the use of dinosaur analogies? Really, Barry Eisler, this is just not good enough. I expect to see dino discussions in all future articles.

Because of Mr Eisler's omission, I intend to continue with the Conduit Lectures regardless of his doing the same thing only better. But with Dinologue.

A question for New Yorkers...

I had asked this question (as research for a short story) in the comments of my last post, but I'll repeat it here for those that missed it:

As a New Yorker, would you know off the top of your head who the Deputy Mayors are? Would you know their names and positions? Would you know what their individual offices are for? Right now, without looking it up, would you know who the Deputy Mayor for Administration is, and what he/she looks like?

Thanks to Cyn for already chipping in on this. :)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger moonrat said...

re: Dinologue: most excellent. it was indeed a grievous oversight.

re: deputy mayors? what is a deputy mayor? is that the new baseball team they're moving into the staten island stadium? because i never go to staten island unless my mother makes me.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Danette Haworth said...

Stuar,

Excellent photographs! Each one a postcard.

How was Van Halen? Where are the photos?!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Moonrat: I think that answers my question, thanks!

Danette: Thanks for stopping by. :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Barry Eisler is a smart guy. I've read him for a long time.

But yeah, no dinologue? Duhh....

11:12 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Back in the day, I did.

They say Bloomberg's always taking off to the tropics on his private jet, so I guess the deputy picks up the slack. My guess, natives hear the DM's name mentioned pretty often than they'd know it.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

PS: When I read Barry's posts over at BBH, I thought: Well, Conduit had those ideas FIRST!

He owes you.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Hey Conduit! I may know what a deputy mayor is but I bet no one walking the streets of NY could name who he or she was. Interesting question, thinking of a storyline, huh? Very cool!

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home