On Being A Proper Writer

Friday, September 05, 2008, 11:36 AM

I don't really feel like a proper writer, and I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure if I'll ever feel like one. But what constitutes a proper writer? Is it someone who actually makes a living from it, or someone who at least gets paid? Is it more of a mindset? Even with an agent and publishing deal, and with contract in hand, the life-changing events of the last six months are only just beginning to take on any kind of reality for me.

This weekend, I'm off to my first ever writers' conference. When I found out it was on (thanks to Declan Burke) I jumped at the chance to go, just for the experience of going to something like this in the guise of a proper writer. In reality, I'll be treating it more as a weekend break by the sea, with a nice hotel and possibly a couple of pints and a fry-up here and there.

Will I come away from it feeling any more like a proper writer? Probably not.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Conferences are the greatest. You'll find your posse there. You'll be with your peeps. My big one is next weekend.

A proper writer actually WRITES.

Doesn't matter whether you sell it or not, but whether you WRITE.

You, sir, are a proper writer, with bells and whistles and an unhealthy love of Van Halen. :P

2:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's a question I've wrestled with myself, Stuart, and I suspect I'll never answer it to my own satisfaction. That's fine with me, though, because that may well be a requirement for Writerhood.

Have a blast at the con!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still don't feel like a proper mom, and I've been at it for four years.

But yeah, I agree with Betsy - agent? contract? You are definitely, definitely a proper writer.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

sounds like a writer to me. Keep plugging away.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home