A Thank You

Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10:35 PM

A quick post to say thank you to everyone who rallied around after my last post and gave me a series of pep talks. There were some very kind things said, and I'm grateful.

Meeting the problem face-to-face seems to have helped, as it always does. I've always been a seat-of-the-pants writer, so sitting down and mapping things out on index cards goes against my nature, but I gave it a go. And what do you know, it threw up some new plot twists that just shifted this whole thing into a whole new gear. And that includes one twist I didn't see coming that's going to be a real gut-wrench, and have implications for at least one more book to come, and possibly more.

So, back to the coalface.

Thanks again.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Eyberg said...

I love it when whatever you are working on throws something at you unexpectedly. It makes it all worthwhile, at least for me.

11:28 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

good luck!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Across the board writers (especially the male writers) have balked at my suggestion of a system of cards, cork board, and creating a detailed scene notebook from the cards.

But all grudgingly conceded that a little outlining/organizing goes a long way to improving things once they try it.

Glad to hear you're back on track. You're a natural, never forget that.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I love it when that happens. Best!

Hmmm. I'm going to have to try that organizing thing.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Gordon Harries said...

Jo: the American writer David Corbett (who’s very good) works like that, it speaks to the 90 % perspiration and 10 % inspiration notion.

At the moment I’m doing critical, rather than creative, writing but I’ve found having a sound blue print helps enormously. I may stray from my pre-determined path, but it helps to know that I have a way home.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Gerard Brennan said...

coming to this a little late. I'm not at my most energetic right now. Anyway, I'm just after reading all the comments in your previous post. Some excellent reading there for writers at any level.

Thanks for posting about the pressure. Admitting to stuff like that helps the people who read, consider and comment on it. I've a few things straight in my head now too.

All the best

gb

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Dorset Girl said...

Hi Stuart,

I feel like I'm coming to your blog kind of late to the party. But I've spent a lovely sunday reading your old posts. I'm so pleased I've found it! I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed. My first novel is coming out April next year. I'm working on the edits now and then need to start on book 2 straight away. If I think about it too much, I do feel a little sick. I absolutely understand how you feel!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Dorset Girl said...

P.S - Can't wait to buy your book!
x

2:49 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I missed this post - but I'm here to say good luck!!!!!!!!!

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home