Slow progress - Word count 10,047 (wp) 12,500 (pr)

Thursday, March 08, 2007, 10:01 PM

I'm finding my new novel harder going than the last. I'm not sure why, because if anything I'm more enthusiastic about this story than I was about the last. I've only written 2000 words since my last post about it, and this is bearing in mind that with the last novel I was averaging about 1500 to 2000 per sitting. Mind you, I did write a 2000 word short story in the meantime.

The fact that I'm insanely busy at work isn't helping. My business is doing quite well, and I'm thankful for that, but it does sap the mental energy I need for writing. While I might feel a sneaking resentment for the writing time I'm losing, I have to remember my business allows me to own my own house and drive a BMW. My writing means nothing in that respect, so, you know, perspective and all that.

In other news:

BAD NEWS

Another year, another election to a non-existent government. Once again my fellow countrymen have baffled me with their democratic choices. One large group of people have voted for dated, intransigent, reactionary, power-for-its-own-sake idiots. Another almost-as-large group of people have voted for a party founded on bloodshed, a party whose hypocricy knows no bounds, a party whose leaders have been feeding off the misery they created for decades. It seems all the sensible people stayed at home yesterday. Mind you, I can't really talk - I voted for a woman cos she's kind of hot. I despair, I really do.

GOOD NEWS

I bumped into an old friend at the video rental place that I haven't seen in years. We had a good chat. I was struck how you can not see someone for so long then slip right back into a conversation as if you had seen them only yesterday. Yet at the same time, I have friends I've been close to all my life that I've found it hard to communicate with at all recently.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

What is your business?

2:06 AM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

I'm a partner in a multimedia design business. Mostly we develop websites but we've been expanding into short run printing over the last couple of years.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home