Challenge: a 5000 word weekend - Word Count 49,388 (wp) 61,000 (pr)

Thursday, May 03, 2007, 1:07 AM

I started this blog last November when my previous novel was at about 38,000 words (word processor count). By the end of that month I was at 66,000 words. That's fast writing, and my current novel isn't progressing at anything like that pace. During the last novel, when I was at 44,000 words, I set myself a challenge in honour of NaNoWriMo: to write 5000 words in a weekend. It was hard, but I did it. In fact, I managed to write 6000 words.

So, because this weekend will be a long one with the May bank holiday, I'm going to attempt this challenge again. If the current splendid weather continues, I may not be able to avoid some gardening (ugh), but other than that, this weekend will be all about writing. I'm looking forward to it, because a major action sequence is coming up, and after that, it's Act Three - in other words, the shit will hit the fan.

I'm making my announcement a little early 'cos tomorrow night I've got a gig in Belfast, so won't be able to post then. Talking of gigs and music, one of these days I will post something of my other creative pursuit - a piece of music. I'll have to think about which one...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Good luck.

I wrote my second book in less than four months. I maintained a 20 page average, five days per week. It was nuts, but I had to do it that way or never finish because the characters were so tortured.

In an ideal life I would write novels by immersion--Draft in the first half of the school year, revise the second half, and write short stories all summer. Shampoo, rinse, repeat. I could seriously do that for the rest of my life.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home