Workspace Wednesday (or the Meme Revenge)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 7:35 PM

So, here's my idea for a Meme, which I will now inaugurate as Workspace Wednesday. It's inspired by a fascinating article at the Guardian Books website, highlighted by Josie. The article is a gallery of well-known writers' offices and workspaces, with a note from each author on the things scattered around them. Anyway, I thought us less well-known writers could have a bash. There are only a few guidelines:

1) You must take a photo of your workspace and post it to your blog.
2) You must provide a few words about it.
3) You must NOT tidy, clean or otherwise stage the workspace - it must be EXACTLY as it usually is (you can see that I followed this rule religiously).
4) (Optional) You can nominate as many or as few others as you wish.

So, here's my mess (click to enlarge):



As you can see, tidiness is not high on my list of priorities. When I bought my house, having a good sized room for an office was key. This is actually a double bedroom, and as well as hosting my desk and computer-type stuff, it also houses my guitars and books at the opposite end. The pics on the walls are all movie related, including posters for Get Carter (best British movie ever), Withnail & I (a wonderful drawing by Ralph Steadman) and City of God. You'll also see I always have a guitar close to hand, along with various bits of audio equipment. The desk (or rather, misappropriated kitchen table) holds various picks, capos, slides, harmonicas, pens, notepads, books, a bottle opener and a Belfast street atlas (useful for figuring out how you'd avoid the cops if you were up to no good). And I know exactly where everything is. Honest.

So, my nominees are:

Betsy, McKoala, and because it needs another guy (and therefore bound to be as messy), Chris. And Josie too, if she hasn't deserted Blog land yet. :)

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Renee Collins said...

Hi, we don't know each other, but I just wanted to tell you that I think your entry for Nathan Bransford's contest is fantastic. You are a seriously talented writer.
I read yours and I thought, "Aw, crap. There's no way I can win." :)
I'll be expecting to see your name when he posts the finalists.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Who you calling messy?

10:06 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

While Josie is counting the days till she can desert blog land, she has not done so yet.

However, she still doesn't have a freakin' camera to take a picture of her huge and incredibly neat writing space (complete with fascinating personally meaninful desk items and a piece of art on the wall that hints at my next top-secert WIP).

Make you a deal: I'll get a camera with in the next few weeks or so, I'll take a picture and send it to you to post on your blog - kind of a guest blog meme. Ok?

Grat idea, BTW. I really love looking at the writing spaces in the Guardian link.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Chris said, "Who you calling messy?"

You, that's who - so what you gonna do 'bout it?

Renee - That's very kind, thank you. I haven't read many of the other entries, there are so many, but I did read yours - well done. :)

Josie - Ok, I'll let you off ... for now.

11:09 PM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Not that bad of a mess. Soothing green walls. Almost hospital like. Cooling.

I would take a photo of mine, but I can't find my camera underneath the mess.

6:22 AM  
Blogger McKoala said...

uh oh

9:42 AM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I'm glad to avoid this meme as taking a picture of my mess will give people an impression of me I don't think I want them to have! ;o) Your space is pretty darn neat.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Eric Laing said...

Conduit,

Sign me up in the job well done column for your entry in Nathan's contest.

Also, congrats on landing your dream agent. From what little I've seen it's certainly well deserved.

Cheers,

Eric

6:56 PM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

I want a photo opportunity.
I need a shot of redemption.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a catroon grave yard.

Uh... I ordered my new camera today! Won't get it till after my hiatus but I will back date a meme post to make it seem as if I did it when I was tagged.

Neat? I'll show you neat!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Chris Eldin said...

Nice photo!!

I'm over from Mckoala's, and am playing along....
:-)

6:22 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Done. And relatively clean, if you don't mind my saying...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Eric: Thanks, that's very kind. Are you the same Eric I voted for in a couple of Nathan's previous contests?

Manic Mom: Thanks for stopping by. Is your mess Manic Mess?

Josie: I look forward to it. :)

7:13 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Ok obviously I haven't been hanging around here--incredibly busy. But I'll post my pix tomorrow, which is wednesday.

12:28 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh, and only the price of an airline ticket is keeping me from coming to your house and painting away that godawful color...

12:29 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Oh what the hell, I might come anyway.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Josephine Damian said...

Conduit: At last, it is done.

To view Josie's desk, click:

http://josephinedamian.blogspot.com/2008/05/workspace-wednesday-or-meme-revenge.html

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home