Dun Laoghaire Crime Writers Weekend

Sunday, September 07, 2008, 7:20 PM


I have returned bruised and battered from my first ever writers conference. The Crime Writers Weekend, an offshoot from the main Books 2008 literary festival in Dublin, was hosted in the seaside town of Dun Laoghaire, just a few miles from the city. There were four events in all, including panel discussions, and an interview with Irish crime fiction colossus, John Connolly. I took something worthwhile away from all the events, and I wouldn't hesitate to go again if the weekend became an annual affair.

I had a wonderful time, and I am once again impressed by how welcoming and supportive writers are towards one another. Declan Burke very kindly introduced me various people, and I was met with generosity and friendship all around. The highlights, in no particular order, were:


  • John Connolly blushing the deepest red due to reading a sex scene while his mum was in the audience.

  • Finding the aforementioned John Connolly to be an exceedingly nice chap.

  • Lunch with Brian McGilloway, Peter Rozovsky, and the beautiful and charming Arlene Hunt.

  • Going on the blatter with Declan, Peter and Shay Bagnall (pictured below).

  • My drinking companions tolerating my enthusiasm for this new-fangled writers' life which I seem to remember expressing with increasing gusto as the evening wore on, and more helpings of loud-mouth soup were consumed.



The only downsides were the same car alarm going off in the multi-storey park outside my hotel window at 6:00am two mornings in a row, and the rather delicate condition I found myself in today.

All in all, the weekend was a success in every way, and I congratulate the organisers. I want to thank all the people who made me feel welcome, and in particular Declan and co for letting me talk crap until the late hours.



l-r: Peter Rozovsky, Shay Bagnall, Declan Burke

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

Does Declan Burke look that good in person, or does he just photograph well?

I knew you'd have a blast!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I have yet to attend any writer's conference but plan to rectify that as soon as I can.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Sounds brilliant!

Glad you had such a great time.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Is "going on the blatter" the term for what I was doing? Declan had led me to believe that I was "partaking of a dry sherry." And Sex Scenes at Starbucks is a hell of a name. I will click on it as soon as I post this.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

3:43 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Peter: Declan told me it would lemonade and cake. Next thing I know, he's forcing beer down my throat.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

He told me it was dry sherry. Next thing I know, I'm being clapped between the shoulder blades by inebriated gents making appreciative remarks about Sarah Palin.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home