Challenge met! - Word Count 54,568 (wp) 67,500 (pr)

Monday, May 07, 2007, 3:27 PM

I have met my challenge, and exceeded it by 180 words. I'll probably get more done today, as I'm really enjoying writing at the minute and find myself itching to get back to it when I'm away from the computer. I've got to take my nephew to see Spider-Man 3 this evening, and as much as I'm looking forward to that, I know I'll be sitting there wishing I was at my keyboard.

The story's at an interesting point. It's not quite at the big showdown, but it's heading that way. The scene I finished this morning took me by surprise by revealing something about one of my main characters. What started out as a kind of functional scene to get from one place to another turned out to be pretty pivotal. In essence, my two POV characters have opposite development arcs. They can both be viewed as protagonist or antagonist for much of the novel as this story has a lot of grey in it, but when you're in their head, they're the good guy from their perspective. BUT, as the story progresses, amid all the darkness, one man gains his humanity, while the other loses his. The scene I finished this morning was quite disturbing (something is threatened, rather than done), and left me feeling a little unsettled, and it makes this particular character who, up until now, could have been seen as a good guy of sorts and plants him firmly into the bad guy shoes. He has stepped from the grey areas into the black, and he knows it.

In other news...

I have not shaved for five days and I feel suitably rugged and stubbly. So much so, that I may embark on another journey to Beardsville. I have been there before, once for a year or so, and once for only a few weeks. On both occasions I stayed in the Goatee neighbourhood, but this time I feel I may venture into the Full Grizzly area. It may get to be an annoyance, with the itching and the food issues, but I'll give it a go for now. It could come off any time though, tomorrow even, we'll just have to wait and see.

5 Comments:

Blogger ssas said...

I'm a sucker for a nice goatee, and even the scraggly look, but dude, don't get too unkempt or it just gets gross. (Of course most guys don't actually care about such issues.)

Heh, you're at that stage where I'm starting to develop a picture of you in my mind. I have to laugh at myself, though, because I don't even know how old you are.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

I'm 35, and slightly out of shape and pasty faced from sitting in front of a computer for too long. A fitness regime is required for the summer!

6:54 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

You paint such a pretty picture of yourself...

DUDE! This is the Internet and we're half a world away from each other. You could have said anything!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Stuart Neville said...

Hey, it's not like I'm Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons! I have been told I look like a thinner Jack Black, though that was when I had long hair (yep, I even had the full Bon Jovi do at one time). Funnily, I've always punched well above my weight when it comes to the fairer sex - my last girlfriend looked like a young Ellen Barkin. Been a while, though, as I've been giving all my spare time to writing. But with the warmer weather, the ladies have been wearing less around here, and it is distracting for a young fella like myself.

10:31 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

:snort: "young fella."

I know, I know, I'm almost 40 and I feel about twenty.

Actually, I look about twenty, too. It's the hair.

Well, save fitness for before the book tour and keep your nose to the stone for a little longer. I'm ready to read it.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home